Getting prepared for the unexpected is crucial, especially when you stay far away from your home countries. A well planned trip can still be impacted by unforeseen cancellations or delays, illness and medical emergencies or lost or stolen luggage. SE Vietnam is willing to help purchase your insurance in Vietnam and secure your comfort here. You can find useful information related to insurance for international students in Vietnam in this article. Further details would be informed to you in case you order our service.
I. WHAT RISK ARE INCLUDED?
The insurance covers the following risks:
- Bodily injury or death caused by an accident during the period of insurance (Accident: means an event occurring entirely beyond the Insured’s control and caused by violent, external and visible means, influencing on the Insured’s body during the period of insurance, directly leading to bodily injury of the Insured);
- Illness or death caused by sudden illness/diseases (not caused by illness/diseases occurring before the insurance inceinsurance companyon and illness/diseases listed in the exclusions) during the period of insurance;
- Loss of and damage to accompanied baggage and personal effects reasonably attributable to the cause of: fire, explosion, sinking, overturn, falling of conveyances;
- Loss of package of checked baggage in the course of travel.
The insurance company shall not be liable for:
1. Risks arising directly from the following causes:
- Willful violation of laws or regulations of travel agencies, local authority at the place of travel, by the Insured;
- Willful acts of the Insured or his legal successor (the person who is appointed to receive the sum insured under the Insurance Certificate or the testament or laws);
- The Insured uses and is under the influence of alcohol, beer, intoxicating drugs, narcotics or other stimulants and likewise;
- The Insured is joining a fight, unless the Insured proves that such fighting is for his own defense;
- Medical treatment or use of medicines or drugs not in accordance with the prescription of a Physician, by the Insured;
- The Insured suffers from mental illness, insanity, pregnancy, pregnancy complications, including but not limited to forms of childbirth, miscarriage and abortion (unless such miscarriage results from an accident);
- Pre-existing diseases or injuries or disabilities including but not limited to the following regardless of their discovery or happening before or during the period of insurance: blood pressure diseases, cardiovascular diseases, different kinds of tumors, gastric ulcers, chronic polyarthritis, intestinal ulcers, different kinds of stones, cholecystitis, diabetes, sinusitis, hemorrhoids, hernia, tonsillitis requiring surgery, malformation at nasal septum or turbine of nose, cataracts, anal leakage, cancers, blood or bone marrow disorders, nephritis, hepatitis, cerebral infarction, cerebral hemorrhage, marrow failure, pancreatic failure, cerebral vascular accidents, outside trend of toes, strokes, hyperthyroidism or pulmonary embolism;
- The insured died of unexplained, sudden death.
- Treatment or surgery of congenital malformations, treatment arising from aging, psychological aging, stress, anxiety or depression.
- Outbound travel against the physician’s advice or for medical treatment.Participation in aviation activities (except as a ticketed passenger), military maneuvers or training exercises or combats of armed forces;
- Earthquakes, volcanoes, radioactive contamination, war, strikes or civil war.
- Syphilis, gonorrhea, tuberculosis, malaria, leprosy, HIV, AIDS, sexually transmitted diseases and other complications resulting from the treatment of such diseases;
- Pandemic risks as announced by a competent authority (including but not limited to SARS and H5N1);
2. Loss of baggage in the following events:
- Loss of gold, silver, precious stones, precious metals, cash, traveler’s checks, precious metal jewelry, furs, watches, valuable documents, such as money, passports, driver’s licenses, tickets, documents, papers, drawings or blueprints;
- Loss of laptops: Loss of laptops, including but not limited to laptops, notebooks, sub-notebooks and incidental components. Any computers or other portable devices are excluded;
- Scratched or wetted objects without any loss of their function;
- Confiscation, detention or seizure by a competent agency.
II. INSURANCE PERIOD AND RATE
Foreigners who come to Vietnam may apply for travel insurance; the insurance companyshall issue an Insurance Certificate for each person or certify the list of persons insured. The Insured or his representative on receipt of the Insurance Certificate shall pay the insurance premium to the insurance company.
Period of Insurance
This insurance shall commence and end in accordance with the period of insurance stated in the Insurance Certificate. In the event that the Insurance Certificate is issued to the Insured before his coming to Vietnam, the insurance shall attach after the Insured goes through formalities for entrance into Vietnam, and shall, in all cases, end when the Insured completes formalities for exit from Vietnam or when the insurance period as stated in the Insurance Certificate expires.
Premium rates and sum insured
- The Sum Insured specified in the Insurance Certificate is the limit of liability payable by the insurance company to the Insured for any injury/death or loss of or damage to the Insured’s baggage and personal effects.
- The Policyholder may select the Sum Insured. The normal rate for one month insurance is around $45USD.
Extension of insurance period
- Where applying for extension of the period of insurance, the Insured has to pay additional premiums prior to the expiration date of the period of insurance as specified in the Insurance Certificate.
- If the Insured’s trip is not as scheduled due to the occurrence of a storm, flood, fire or earthquake or the breakdown of the traffic system or the conveyance, the period of insurance specified in the Insurance Certificate shall be automatically extended to the completion of the trip without any additional premium payable. However, such extension shall not exceed 48 hours. Where the trip continues beyond such extended period, the Insured shall notify the insurance company thereof to consider providing continuous insurance, computing additional premiums or suspending the insurance, as the case may be.
III. INSURANCE BENEFITS
- In case of the Insured’s death or Total Permanent Disablement caused by an accident covered by this insurance, the insurance company shall pay the full amount of the Sum Insured as specified in the Insurance Certificate.
- In case of the Insured’s Partial Permanent Disablement caused by an accident covered by this insurance, the insurance company shall compensate the Insured according to the Table of Insurance Benefits.
- In case of the Insured’s temporary disability caused by an accident: insurance company shall only pay the actual and reasonable expense as instructed by the physician in Vietnam, the total amount payable to the Insured shall not exceed the benefit specified in Table of Insurance Benefits.
- Where the Insured sustains a sudden illness or sickness requiring inpatient or outpatient treatment covered by this insurance, insurance company shall only pay the actual and reasonable expense as instructed by the physician and a hospital daily allowance of 0.2% of the Sum Insured, the total amount payable to the Insured shall not exceed 15% of the Sum Insured/person/year during treatment in Vietnam.
- Where the Insured’s death is not caused by an accident, but a sudden illness or sickness covered by this insurance, insurance company shall pay expenses for burial or cremation in Vietnam or repatriation of the Insured’s remains and baggage to the country of residence. In no event, the total amount of indemnity payable as shall exceed the Sum Insured stated in the Insurance Certificate
- Insurance company shall pay any repatriation costs and expenses incurred by the Insured where he suffers from an accident or illness covered hereby and discontinues his treatment in Vietnam, including the following costs and expenses:
- Ambulance expenses to transfer the Insured to the airport to return the country of residence as requested by the hospital where he was being treated due to his fatal injury or illness;
- Rental of extra chairs, medical equipment and medicines as directed by the physician (if necessary);
- Food, accommodation and travel expenses incurred by an accompanying person appointed to take care of the Insured during the repatriation as requested by the director of the hospital where he was being treated due to his fatal injury or illness, which shall in no event exceed 10% of the Sum Insured
*If, within 180 days from the date of an accident covered hereby, the Insured passes away or suffers from a total permanent disability as a direct result ofaccident, insurance company shall pay the difference between the sum insured stated in the Insurance Certificate and the amounts previously paid.
*Insurance company shall indemnify the Insured for any loss of or damage to accompanied baggage and personal effects covered under the following provisions, but not exceeding the sum insured for baggage as stated in the Insurance Certificate.
7. In case of any loss or damage:
- With respect to lost or damaged baggage or personal effects of which the actual damage has been certified by customs agencies,insurance company shall take them into consideration and make payment based on the actual value of such baggage or personal effects at the time of loss, damage subject to prices of similar articles in the country where they are sold at the time of payment. Any claim form shall be accompanied by written certifications of above-mentioned agencies and documents, invoices proving the value of lost articles.
- For articles suffering minor damage which, after replacement of parts or repair, are useable, insurance company shall pay expenses resulting from any repair or replacement made in Vietnam. In case it is impossible to repair damages or replace parts in Vietnam, payment shall be made based on the proportion of damage after deduction of depreciation or wear and tear expenses.
- The limit of indemnity for any item stated in the Schedule of Baggage and Personal Effects shall be 20% of the sum insured for baggage as stated in the Insurance Certificate and shall not exceed USD20 for any item. A pair or a set of articles shall be deemed as an item.
– In case of any loss of package of checked baggage in the course of travel, certification of competent agencies is required. In this case, insurance company shall pay up to USD20 for each kilogram of baggage and USD400 for a package of baggage lost.
– For any loss of or damage to baggage and personal effects, the Insured is required to provide baggage declaration forms made when going through immigration formalities and certification of customs agencies of the country of immigration.
– Where insurance company had paid for any loss of baggage or personal effects which were then found, the Insured shall be entitled to retake found baggage and refund the amount paid to the insurance company. If the Insured does not retake such found items within 30 days from the date of receipt of notice from insurance company, insurance companyshall be entitled to deal with such items as compensation for the amount paid.
IV. HOW TO CLAIM
Procedures for claim settlement
When a covered risk occurs, the Insured or his representative is required to:
- Give notice to insurance company’s nearest office or competent agencies such as hotels, travel agencies, airlines within 24 hours;
- Follow instructions of insurance company, hotels, travel agencies or airlines.
- Where a claim is lodged for medical expenses, repatriation expenses, a medical examination may be made by a doctor appointed by insurance companyat any time where necessary.
- In case of any damage to baggage and personal effects, the Insured shall be responsible for preventing and minimizing damages.
- The sum insured shall be paid to the Insured or his authorized representative. In case of death of the Insured, his legal successor shall be entitled to receive such amount of money.
- When lodging a claim, the Insured or his representative or legal successor is required to submit to insurance company the following documents within 30 days after the Insured is discharged from a hospital in Vietnam or passes away (but not exceeding 01 year from the date a covered risk occurs) or suffers a loss of or damage to his baggage.
- Claim form accurately stating the address;
- Insurance Certificate;
- Necessary documents among the following documents which are related to the loss or damage for which a claim has been filed:
a/ For any personal damage caused by an accident or illness:
- Accident report certifying the death or injury
- Medical treatment certificate issued by health establishments
- Invoices showing medical, repatriation and other expenses
- Death certificate and certificate of inheritance (in case of death)
b/ For any loss of or damage to baggage and personal effects:
- Evidences proving such loss or damage and the extent of loss;
- Minutes of loss of package of checked baggage issued by carriers and baggage tickets;
- Statement of the value of damaged properties;
- Customs declaration form when immigrating into Vietnam, clearly stating items of accompanied baggage and assets;
- Invoices of any repair or replacement of parts.
- Any claim shall be attached by written certification of competent agencies and invoices and documents proving the value of lost items.
c/ Other related documents as required by insurance company;
d/ Where the Insured authorizes another person to receive the indemnity, a valid power of attorney is required.
* In case of any dishonesty committed by the Insured or his legal successor in the implementation of the provisions of this Wording, insurance company shall be entitled to refuse to pay a whole or a part of the sum insured depending on the extent of such violation.
* When making payment for any loss of or damage to baggage and personal effects, insurance company is subrogated to all rights of recovery of the Insured against any third party (if any) to the extent of the amount paid and the Insured shall be responsible for creating all favorable conditions for insurance company to enforce such right.
1. The time limit for the Insured to lodge a claim shall be 01 year from the occurrence of an insured event unless delay is due to objective causes and force majeure as prescribed by laws.
2. The time limit for insurance companyto make payment shall be 15 days from the receipt of valid and adequate claim dossiers, and shall not exceed 30 days in case it is necessary to verify claim dossiers.
In case refusing to make payment, insurance company shall give a written notice to the Insured of reasons for such refusal within 30 days from the receipt of valid and adequate claim dossiers.
Time limit for filing complaints
The time limit for the Insured or his legal successor to file a complaint against insurance company about its decision to make payment shall be 06 months from the date the Insured or its legal successor receives the notice of indemnification or notice of refusal to make indemnification from insurance company.
The time limit for the Insured to file a complaint about the claim settlement of insurance company shall be 03 years from the occurrence of a dispute. Beyond the above time limit, all complaints shall be invalid.