Overview: Getting more and more integrated into global education, Vietnam has invested to reform its different education sectors and open doors for international education philosophies. Being an education intern, the student can play an active role in bringing about international experience and innovation to the local institutes while actively contributing to the local community.
International students will usually get some or all of the following benefits provided by their host organizations while doing an internship in Vietnam:
- Be enrolled in university, graduated or have relevant work experience in the field of interest
- Languages: English (required by most host organizations)
- Proficient computer skills: MS Office, Email, Internet Usage, etc
- Soft skills & interpersonal skills (communication, teamwork, presentation, decision-making, time management, etc)
- Passion for work & ability to work under pressure
- Other specialized knowledge, professional skills & qualities to perform the job (vary by placement and depend on the specific host organization)
- Work as an English teacher
- Prepare lesson plans & teach English to local students whose English proficiency is much lower than students in more developed cities like Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh City (The students are from 11 to 14 years old; in grade 6, 7 and 8; each class has from 20 to 25 students)
- Support local English teachers in teaching methodology, teaching skills and other activities like organising the English speaking clubs and other outdoor activities for students.
BAC LUNG SECONDARY SCHOOL
Bac Lung Secondary School is a public school in Bac Giang Province, 50 kilometres to the east of Hanoi, Which offers education service for local students from 11 to 15 years old. The school has a student population of around 1000 students from diverse backgrounds.
To teach English as a second language to a range of students including young learners, youth learners and potentially adults
- Teaching across a range of levels, ages, and courses
- Average teaching hours: normally scheduled at 17-22 hours per week . Classes run from 7:30am to 10:00pm Monday through Friday; 7:45 am to 8:15pm on Saturday and Sunday. Split shifts are sometimes inevitable, though they are avoided where possible.
- Planning student-cantered and participative lessons while following a designated syllabus
- Administering and marking mid- and end-of-level tests
- Writing student reports
- Conducting placement testing
- Participating in professional development activities, such as attendance at training sessions and peer and senior observations among other things
- Teaching off-site classes, as required
Apollo Education and Training, a member of International House World Organization, was the first foreign-run language centre in Vietnam. We began in 1994 and now operate 10 centres in four cities across Vietnam. As a fully-fledged language centre, Apollo offers classes in General English, IELTS, TOEFL, Business English, Pronunciation, English for Young Learners, and English for Teenagers.
- Assist teacher in class as requested or planned, including helping to conduct the lesson; assisting children with activities; translating instructions and lesson content into Vietnamese when requested by the teacher; assisting with handling discipline or crises such as injuries or unhappiness; and other in-class duties as they arise;
- Assist with lesson planning outside of class time;
- Assist with procurement of equipment, supplies, photocopies and other materials as requested prior to each lesson;
- Assist teachers in parent meetings (both individual and built-in-the course meetings);
- Be responsible for contacting and keeping in touch with parents on requests;
- Participate in the on-going development of the course, offering ideas and suggestions for improvements
LANGUAGE LINK VIETNAM
Language Link Vietnam (LLV) is a member of Language Link International group, ensuring international standards worldwide. With its head office in London, Language Link is a member of the Association of Recognised English Language Services, UK. LLV has been recognized as being the most popular ESL organization in Hanoi with 17 years of experience and an excellent teaching team.Main tasks:
The intern is assigned to work 40 hours/ week as a teacher assistant for the English programs and assist in organizing the Kiddy Summer programs.
As a teacher assistant and program assistant, she/he is required to
- Make adequate preparation for class;
- Maintain a professional attitude and appearance with students and clients;
- Refrain from discussing culturally sensitive subjects, which are deemed inappropriate for classroom discussion in Vietnam such as politics, religion, and sex;
- To uphold the good name of the Center at all times and undertake no action or communication which would prejudice the standing of the Center or the reputation of the staff;
- The intern shall not, either during her intern at The Center or thereafter, divulge to any third party any confidential information concerning The Center that may have come to her knowledge during her participation in the work experience.
- During the hours the intern is engaged in the work experience, the intern will be governed by the policies of the Center with respect to all aspects of their behavior; and,
- The intern is supposed to submit a monthly report to the Center after every month evaluation meeting with the Coordinator.
On 30 November 1965, the Ministers of Education of Southeast Asian Countries established the Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organization (SEAMEO) for the development of the region through co-operation in education, science and culture.
SEAMEO consists of 11 Member Countries: Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor Leste and Vietnam; SEAMEO also has eight Associate Member Countries: Australia, Canada, France, Germany, the Netherlands, New Zealand and Spain.
Vietnam, readmitted as a SEAMEO Member State on February 10, 1992, by the SEAMEO Council, hosts the SEAMEO Regional Training Center (SEAMEO RETRAC) in Ho Chi Minh City.
*Note: Internship placements and job descriptions can always be CUSTOMIZED to best meet students’ personal and professional goals
Featured Host Organizations: Hanoi University of Science & Technology, Hanoi University of Business & Technology, Cleverlearn Vietnam, SEAMEO RETRAC, Apollo English Training Center, Bac Lung Secondary School, etc.
Want to get an internship in this field? Learn more about the steps needed for applying and send us your application whenever you are ready!
See more:Apply now
Would I recommend the internship to anyone interested in Climate Change in a developing country? Definitely!
Take every opportunity that arises – teaching language after work, meals with companies, travel as much as possible…these really made the experience much better.
I can describe my internship in Vietnam in two words: diverse and interesting. Big thanks to SE Vietnam all their helps and supports, I really appreciated!
It is a lot more than just an internship. I won’t be writing how beautiful this country is, how friendly people are and how good the food is, you will just have to come here and find out by yourself.
I saw the professional and dynamic style after working through a long project with SE Vietnam
I was extremely satisfied with my internship in Vietnam experience in general and the service that was providedby SE Vietnam in particular. The staffs always listened to my worries, and they tried to keep my safety and that really relieves my anxiety being in a foreign country.