- Be enrolled in university, graduated or have relevant work experience in the field of interest
- Languages: English (required by most host organizations)
- Proficient computer skills: MS Office, Email, Internet Usage, etc
- Soft skills & interpersonal skills (communication, teamwork, presentation, decision-making, time management, etc)
- Passion for work & ability to work under pressure
- Other specialized knowledge, professional skills & qualities to perform the job (vary by placement and depend on the specific host organization)
- Make research on waste management system in Hoi An City
- Collect the data in the surrounding places near Hoi An City
- Analyse and generalize the data, write report
- Raise the awareness of local people about protecting environment
- Access the social – ecology system in the specific projects
CHAM ISLANDS BIOSPHERE RESERVE OFFICE
The Cham Island Biosphere Reserve, which comprises a group of 8 coastal islands and marine site in the central part of the Vietnam, is now one of the 553 UNESCO Biosphere Reserve sites in 107 countries of the world. The objective of declaring the islands as Biosphere Reserve is to adopt different approaches of integrated management of terrestrial, freshwater, coastal and marine resources and biodiversity. The biodiversity marine species of the reserve are particularly corals, molluscs, crustaceans and seaweed. This ecosystem also includes Hội An, a UNESCO cultural World Heritage Site, which is well known as an ancient trading port that blends Vietnamese and European cultures; this blend is expected to encourage sustainable ecotourism.
The desired intern is required to support the VFD (Vietnam Forest and Deltas) team with its exploration to improve the charcoal production – starting with a market research on the available (improved) technologies followed by field visit and advisory on how to improve and/or replace existing technologies.
SNV NETHERLANDS DEVELOPMENT ORGANIZATION – VIETNAM
SNV is an international not-for-profit development organization. We believe that no-one should have to live in poverty and that all people should have the opportunity to pursue their own sustainable development. Founded in the Netherlands nearly 50 years ago, SNV has built a long-term, local presence in many of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Their global team of local and international advisors work with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organizations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
SNV aims to make a lasting difference in the lives of millions of people living in poverty. By sharing their specialist expertise in Agriculture, Renewable Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene, SNV contributes to solving some of the leading problems facing the world today – helping to find local solutions to global challenges and sowing the seeds of lasting change.
The focus of the assignment will contribute to improving the ability of poor communities in Vietnam to develop sustainable livelihoods by: adapting to climate change – in particular by accessing the benefits from reducing emission from deforestation and forest degradation – and sustainably manage their forests.
- Assist with the development of project concept notes and proposals that support Climate Change section’s short and long‑term strategy.
- Assist with writing and editing website and newsletter articles which are related to Climate Change, forest management and environment fields.
- Write and edit reports on Climate Change programs/ projects
- Support ongoing Climate Change mainstreaming activities
- Support the development, management and implementation of Climate Change projects, including undertaking needs/vulnerability assessments, conducting baseline surveys etc as required.
- Participate in other related activities of the organization and engage/liaise with partners through climate change networks.
- Assist with organizing logistic and reporting of Climate Change department led workshops.
* Assignment is based in Hanoi. However, the intern is periodically required to travel to different projects at Northern and central of Vietnam. All cost incurred are covered by the host organization.
The Centre for Sustainable Rural Development (SRD) is a Vietnamese non-profit non-governmental organisation granted establishment decision from the Vietnamese Union of Science and Technology Association (VUSTA) number 281/QD-LHH dated 21 March 2006, and operation permit from Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment (MOSTE) dated March 30, 2006.
SRD is a national NGO that inherited CIDSE’s 28 years of experience in working in the field of poverty alleviation in Vietnam. Founded in 2006, SRD has been implementing over 50 projects with the main focus on Sustainable Agriculture, Rural Livelihoods, Climate Change Adaptation, Forestry Governance, Research and Pro-Poor Policy Advocacy. SRD has also been a founding member and chair of major national CSO networks including VNGO&CC, VNGO-FLEGT, and an active member in many other national/regional networks and policy forums.
- Perform and foster interactive research and education in basic, translational, and clinical
stem cell research
- Enlist and foster interactions among stem cell researchers throughout the Vietnam
National University and neighboring institutions and corporations
- Enhance education on stem cell biology and ethical, legal and societal issues with
Participation of other VNU-HCM schools, including University of Technology, Medicine
School; and HCM Stem Cell Society.
- Develop collaborative graduate and postgraduate educational programs, seminar series
highlighting important themes in stem cell research
- Educate the community via lectures, Mini-Med School, and interactions with media
- Improve core resources for stem cell research, including stem cell production,
differentiation, and banking, training in stem cell methodology, and support for trainees
- Actively collaborate with other hospitals to push some research results into clinical trials;
some biotechnology companies to set-up and produce some products developed from the
STEM CELL INSTITUTE
Stem Cell Institute (SCI) has been a leader in stem cell research in Viet Nam since 1999, as part of University of Science, Vietnam National University (VNU-HCM). Our mission is to create a research environment that stimulates and fosters a broad range of interdisciplinary work designed to fully understand stem cell biology and transform medicine with its discoveries.
Our goals are to enhance understanding, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of multiple human diseases, to cultivate a range of interdisciplinary basic and translational stem cell research and encourages rapid translation of discoveries into innovative and practical clinical applications. We provide an organizational working group structure for stem cell biology research and regenerative medicine and translation at the University of Science, VNU-HCM, develops seminars and symposia to encourage stem cell research and regenerative medicine studies. We also organize philanthropic and economic development efforts to contributes to the ongoing local and national dialog on policy and ethical issues related to stem cells. In the near future, SCI will develop two new core facilities to enhance stem cell production, differentiation and develop cell bank.
To date, SCI successfully developed an environment for dynamic collaboration among those who will create the future of medicine: scientists, clinical researchers, medical care providers, legal and ethical scholars, biomedical engineers, business leaders, and venture capitalists.
- Perform and foster interactive research and education in basic, translational, and clinical
*Note: Internship placements and job descriptions can always be CUSTOMIZED to best meet students’ personal and professional goals
Featured Host Organizations: Cham Island Biosphere Reserve Office, SNV Netherlands Development Organization – Vietnam, Vinaxanh Environment Limited Company, etc.
Want to get an internship in this field? Learn more about the steps needed for applying and send us your application whenever you are ready!
See more:Apply now
I was very nervous because it was my first time in Vietnam, but Student Exchange Vietnam (SEV) made me feel that I made a right decision to come for an internship here. They will not let you feel away from your home as they will treat you not just like a student intern but as a part of the SEV family.
Being in Vietnam has taught me so much about different people and cultures, and my internship with SE Vietnam was a real life changing experience.
The experience of doing an internship in Vietnam certainly was not easy for me but I have no doubt that it was tremendouly valuable.
The knowledge and skills I have gained from the internship surpass the classroom environment and definitely will set a firm base for me in my future career plan. Also, living in the apartment for SE interns, I have found myself such wonderful friends who share the same interest. What is more precious to explore an unfamiliar place, do what you love and make friends with such awesome people?
Would I recommend the internship to anyone interested in Climate Change in a developing country? Definitely!