WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR ABOUT TRAVEL INSURANCE?
Please keep in mind that travel insurance is a must for your trip. It makes sure that you have prepared for the worst case when something goes wrong and can stay safe financially.
It is highly recommended that you purchase the travel insurance right when you make any payment for your trip (program fee, accommodations, etc). Please pay attention to the valid dates of the insurance and what it covers, to see whether you can claim the irrecoverable costs in case of cancelling your trip, or whether your insurance is valid from the time you check out from your home country or check in the host country, etc.
TYPES OF INSURANCE
Typical services depend on the insurance provider that you choose, but basically there are three most popular types:
- Single Trip insurance: is applied for one trip of up to 3 months. This will not cover your traveling to various countries
- Annual Multi Trip insurance: covers multiple trips for one year, with a maximum duration of 45 days/trip
- Backpacker insurance: covers up to 2 years, including 1 trip home for your study break and other trips within the covered geographical area
The fee depends on the company you work with, but it mostly varies based on the specific policies attached, so please pay attention to the terms of contract. The common rate is $50/month.
WHAT TO BE COVERED
- Medical Emergencies: Illness, accidents which lead to medical treatments and even repatriation.
- Personal Possessions: Lost and stolen luggage/belongings when abroad (phone, passport, laptop, etc.)
- Sport Activities: Sports-related accidents, but except adventurous sports
- Cancellation: In case of unexpected events such as illness or family issues (which must be proven), students would have to cancel the trip. In that case, make sure that the insurance will cover the irrecoverable fees for you.
- Emergency Assistance: The insurance company has staff in charge to deal with your specific case when needed
WHAT’S NOT TO BE COVERED
- Pre-Existing Medical Conditions: You must be honest with your insurance company, or else your purchased insurance would be fully invalid
- Alcohol & Drug Abuse or other Law-breaking behaviors: Insurance is not valid for those who break the law. So make sure that you are not involved in using drug, alcohol, driving without license, etc.