Have you ever wanted to travel to Southeast Asia? Have you ever been interested in studying abroad? Now you have a chance to combine the two in this customized summer faculty-led program to Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC), Vietnam and Singapore brought to you by ABROADER (formerly known as Student Exchange Vietnam)! We are very proud to have been recognized and trusted by Dr. James Welsh from the School of Electrical Engineering and Computing at the University of Newcastle for the last three years to run this South East Asia study tour program as a major part of his courses on Advanced Control System Design (ELEC4410) and Linear Control and Estimation (ENGG3440). For the year 2020, we are excited to announce that the program will still be happening and all students interested in joining Dr. Welsh can now start applying.
Mekong Delta, Vietnam
- A highly engaged study abroad program in South East Asia
- Tradition and modernity experienced at the same time
- Exploration of urban life in two of the world’s most dynamic cities through cultural sites and most importantly conversations with a variety of local inhabitants such as local buddies, staff and professionals from diverse backgrounds about their work and family lives
- Exploration of leading electrical engineering companies and manufacturers as well as the systems that they currently deploy
- Overnight excursion in the Mekong Delta, river exploration of villages and boat excursion to the Cai Be or Cai Rang floating markets and opportunity for a walking exploration of little workshops for the production of rice paper, rice crispy, and honey and coconut candy
- Exploration of downtown Singapore with a tour to Gardens by the Bay, a state-of-the-art engineering and lush greenery
Astonishingly exotic and utterly compelling, Vietnam is a country of breathtaking natural beauty with an incredible heritage that quickly becomes addictive. Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC), formerly named and still commonly referred to as Saigon, is in southern Vietnam. It is famous for playing a pivotal role in the Vietnam War, as well as its French colonial architecture, including Notre-Dame Basilica made entirely of materials imported from France, and the neoclassical Saigon Central Post Office. HCMC is an energetic city full of discovery, from the finest of hotels to the cheapest of guesthouses, the classiest of restaurants to the tastiest of street stalls, the choicest of boutiques to the scrum of the markets. It is the perfect embodiment of modern-day Vietnam – and the ideal place to start exploring Vietnamese culture.
Having fun exploring Ho Chi Minh City with local buddies
Singapore is a global commerce, finance and transport hub. Its standings include: the most “technology-ready” nation, top international-meetings city, city with ”best investment potential”, second-most competitive country, third-largest foreign exchange market, third-largest financial center, third-largest oil refining and trading center, and the second-busiest container port. The country has also been identified as a tax haven. Singapore ranks 5th on the UN Human Development Index and the 3rd highest GDP per capita. It is ranked highly in education, healthcare, life expectancy, quality of life, personal safety, and housing.
Gardens by the Bay, Singapore
“Overall this experience was life-changing. The local buddies were fantastic and I hope that I have made friends that I can stay in contact with for life. Having a local buddy for each pair of us students was great and gave the opportunity for us to really get to know them if we wanted to make the effort. Our local program coordinator was fantastic, a great facilitator and made the whole thing quite effortless. We had several local industry factory tours and a few times she had to step in as a translator and was able to pass on the information without a hitch. I loved the program and I very much miss the people over there. I hope to visit Vietnam and the friends I’ve made over there again in the near future. Thank you so much to ABROADER for organizing everything.” – Matt, student participant in 2019
“This study tour was a unique and excellent experience. The expertise and knowledge from our Lecturer James Welsh was second to none, and his two assistants were great assets for delivering content.” – Mitchell, student participant in 2019
Summer 2016 Wrap-up
Program Dates: 5th January – 2nd February 2020
Location: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam and Singapore
Deadline for application: October 20th, 2019
TENTATIVE PROGRAM SCHEDULE
Day 1 (Jan 5) – Arrive in Ho Chi Minh City, Hotel check-in,
Day 2 (Jan 6) – Orientation & Basic Vietnamese lesson, Welcome dinner
Day 3 (Jan 7) – Class day (8 hours)
Day 4 (Jan 8) – Industry visits (2 companies)
Day 5 (Jan 9) – Class (4 hours) & Volunteer Activity
Day 6 (Jan 10) – Industry visits (2 companies)
Day 7 (Jan 11) – City tour with local buddies & Cultural Show (No.1 in Vietnam)
Day 8 (Jan 12) – Free Day
Day 9 (Jan 13) – Class day (8 hours)
Day 10 (Jan 14) – Industry visits (2 companies)
Day 11 (Jan 15) – Day trip to the Cu Chi Tunnels
Day 12 (Jan 16) – Class day (8 hours)
Day 13 (Jan 17) & 14 (Jan 18): Overnight Mekong Delta Tour
Day 15 (Jan 19) – Free day
Day 16 (Jan 20) – Class day (8 hours)
Day 17 (Jan 21) – STEM/EPIC DAY with local students
Day 18 (Jan 22) – Class (8 hours), Farewell dinner
Day 19 (Jan 23), 20 (Jan 24) & 21 (Jan 25) – Free days
Day 22 (Jan 26) – Hotel check-out, Depart for Singapore
Day 23 (Jan 27) – Free day/Explore Singapore (Gardens by the Bay), Welcome dinner with Australian High Commission representative
Day 24 (Jan 28) – Class day (8 hours)
Day 25 (Jan 29) – Industry visits (2 companies)
Day 26 (Jan 30) – Industry visits (2 companies)
Day 27 (Jan 31) – Class day (8 hours)
Day 28 (Feb 1) – Free day
Day 29 (Feb 2) – Hotel check-out, Depart for Australia
All activities listed are subject to change in case of unexpected circumstances. In your free time, feel free to hang out with your local buddies (in Vietnam only) to learn more about the culture and for deeper exchanges.
PROGRAM FEE: $ 4860 AUD for the number of 17 students
- Airport transfer
- Accommodation: 3-star hotel, twin room, free Wi-Fi
- Meals: Breakfast at hotel; welcome and farewell dinners
- Transportation from hotel to class and other activities in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam as listed in the itinerary and MRT Card provided for Singapore with $7 credit. Students to top up card
- Pre-departure orientation and on-site orientation;
- Entrance fees, transportation and meals for excursions as listed in the itinerary, including Ho Chi Minh City Tour (lunch), Day trip to the Cu Chi Tunnels (lunch), Overnight Mekong Delta Tour (1 breakfast, 2 lunches & 1 dinner)
- Classroom space provided for days as listed in the itinerary
- Industry visits arrangement
- Cultural show
- Program coordinator accompanies the group in every activity for the whole program;
- Local buddy arrangement (Vietnam only)
- 24/7 emergency contact number (SOS card);
- Program development
- All gratuities to bus drivers, tour guides and/ or similar;
- International transport (flights, airport taxes, etc);
- Travel insurance;
- Passport & visa expenses;
- Additional meals;
- Optional entertainment and excursions;
- Excess baggage fees;
- All personal items & expenses.
ABROADER will provide instructions, however, you are responsible for your own visa and flight arrangements. Participation will only be confirmed once the full payment of the program fee has been made.
The total program fee is made in one (1) installment and deadline for payment is October 31st, 2019
Payment shall be made via bank transfer to ABROADER’s account and in AUD. Account information and further instruction on how to pay will be provided after your enrollment in the course is confirmed by Dr. Welsh and the University.
CANCELLATION & REFUND
The students reserve the right to cancel the program by announcing the termination to ABROADER via a written document or certified email. The cancellation will be noted based upon the date that ABROADER receives the notification. If this notification comes after the full payment is made, the following refund policy will be in effect.
- Full refund until October 31st 2019
- Half refund between October 31st – November 30th 2019
- NO REFUND after November 30th 2019 unless ABROADER cancels the program
National Travel Warning
In the event of an Australian Government Travel warning, which advises Australian citizens not to travel to Vietnam & Singapore prior to the start of the program, ABROADER will refund 50% of the total program fee. In the event of an Australian Travel warning which advises Australian citizens not to travel to Vietnam & Singapore after the start of the program, no refund will be issued.
Deadline for application is October 20th, 2019
Deadline for payment is October 31st, 2019
Join us to BROADEN your HORIZONS!
Your Journey is our Story!